The Raman – Charpak Fellowship Program – 2018 Call for Applications for Indian & French PhD Students
The Raman–Charpak Fellowship program is in honour of two Nobel Laureates in Physics, Prof C.V. Raman, Indian Nobel Laureate (1930) and Prof Georges Charpak, French Nobel Laureate (1992).
The Fellowship was launched during the State visit of the President of France, H.E. Mr. Francois Hollande, to India during February 14-15th, 2013. The aim is to facilitate the exchange of doctoral students between the two countries, in order to broaden the scope and depth of future engagements in Science, Technology and Innovation.
The Raman-Charpak Fellowship is the only Indo-French bilateral Fellowship programme jointly funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Sector for Science and Technology (SST), French Embassy in India, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Development, Government of France.
This programme implemented by the Indo French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research (IFCPAR/ CEFIPRA) aims at improving the doctoral skills of Indian and French students by providing them an opportunity to carry out part of their research work in a University / Research & Development Institute based in France or India respectively.
The scheme also provides an exposure and experience about the current research methods and trends in France/India, while discovering each other’s cultural context.
Please note: Applicants must have a pre-determined project proposal that has been discussed and agreed upon by the student and the two supervisors (Indian and French) before applying.
TARGET GROUP : This fellowship programme is dedicated to highly qualified PhD students registered in an Indian or French Research Institute / University, to offer them an excellent opportunity to carry out a part of their research project in France / India, to establish professional relationships, to promote new S&T cooperation, and to experience another cultural context.
DURATION : Students can avail the fellowship for minimum of 2 months to maximum of 6 months
FIELDS OF RESEARCH :
- Atmospheric Sciences, Earth Sciences and Environmental Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Biological Sciences, Life and Medical Sciences
- Materials Science
- Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Physical Sciences
For Indian Fellow: Fellowship Support of 1500 Euros per month for daily expenses, local travel, accommodation charges plus Social Security charges
- For French Fellow: Fellowship support Rs. 40,000 per month for daily expenses, local travel etc. plus accommodation charges not exceeding Rs. 45,000 per month
- To and fro air ticket in economy class between India and France
- Insurance coverage (travel & health) wherever is required
- Any administrative costs for Visa and Registration (if any)
- Carte de Sejour (if any)
- A Fellow may be provided with an additional support (up to Euro 500 for Indian Fellows and equivalent support in Indian Rupees for French Fellows) for participating in a Seminar/Workshop during their term of the fellowship and stay in their host countries. The same will be limited to registration fees (if any) b) Air/Train tickets for travel including TA/DA claim (if any) c) accommodation charges (if any)
Please note that no support will be provided for the family members during the fellowship period.
- Applicants from India must be Indian citizens residing in India and have registered for a PhD in a recognized university or research institution in India
- Applicants from France must be residing in France and have registered for a PhD in a recognized university or research institution in France
- Age: Maximum 30 years as on 1st April, 2018
- Students once supported by CEFIPRA, also in the framework of CEFIPRA projects, and students who have a permanent position in institutions/universities are not eligible
- Pre-authorization or prior consent from his/her Institute / University to apply for a foreign fellowship program [No objection certificate from Head of the Institution] (Only for Indian Applicants)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & DOCUMENTS REQUIRED :
- Only online submission will be considered, candidates have to register and apply at www.cefipra.org or log on to: http://www.cefipra.org/raman-charpak2017/
- Detailed description of the research plan/proposal (maximum up to 5 pages) in the prescribed format (see link below), which notably asks for: the title and the research work plan, an explanation of the expected benefit from his/her stay in the proposed Research Institute / University in France / India etc.
- A CV (maximum up to 2 pages) in the prescribed format (see link below) with recent photograph including summary of achievements and research interests, list of relevant publications (maximum 5 most important ones), etc.
- A letter of recommendation from the Ph.D. supervisor
- A letter of agreement from the proposed host supervisor in the fellowship lab
(Foreign Research Institute / University)
- PhD synopsis or short summary of PhD work (up to 2 pages only)
- Research experience letter or publications if any (first author or co-author);(kindly combine the first page of all the publications and enclose as a single PDF file)
- No Objection Certificate from Head of the Institution. (Only for Indian Applicants)
- A scan copy of passport (both front and back)
- A recent photograph
• The documents enclosed must respect the lengths indicated above. It is strongly encouraged to apply early for timely processing rather than towards the end of the deadline. Please ensure that you completely fill the application form and then submit with all the requested documents/attachments. Incomplete applications will not be considered
• The host institution/university of Indian applicants must be in France and vice versa for the French applicants.
• If the application is successfully submitted, candidate should not apply again.
• Applications received through post or submitted after the deadline will not be considered
PRESCRIBED FORMATS :
For Indian & French Ph.D students
- To download the format for Research Proposal (click here)
- To download the format for CV (click here)
Please note that it is absolutely compulsory for candidates to submit their Research Proposal and CV in the prescribed formats
TIME LINE FOR APPLICATIONS :
- Launching : 12th April, 2018
- End of Deadline : 31st May, 2018
- Result : End of August, 2018 (Tentative)
- Starting date of fellowship : October, 2018 onwards
Guidelines & Important Instructions:
- Awarded fellows shall be invited to submit a valid travel itinerary according to their proposed duration of fellowship stated in his/her application form
- The travel itinerary for visit will be valid only after the declaration of results and an awarded fellow shall start his/her fellowship by 31st March, 2019 at the latest
- A request made by a fellow for reducing or increasing the duration of the fellowship may be accepted on following two conditions:
- An increase/decrease of maximum 30 days from the proposed duration and within the guidelines of the programme.
- The fellow has to provide a justification for such request along with the recommendation letters from their PhD & host supervisors. Hence, it is advised that candidates must carefully submit their proposed duration in their application form after consulting and discussing with their PhD and host supervisors. Please note that in total, the overall duration should not be less than 2 months and should not exceed 6 months.
- A fellow may be supported to participate in a Seminar/Conference/Workshop during their stay in their host countries. For this purpose, the fellow should provide a proof of acceptance regarding selection of their paper/poster or their participation. CEFIPRA will consider providing support for their registration, travel and stay during that period.
For any queries regarding the Raman-Charpak Fellowship 2018, please contact us at
E-mail ID: email@example.com
For any further information please contact:
Dr. Mukesh Kumar
Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research
(Centre Franco-Indien pour la Promotion de la Recherche Avancée-CEFIPRA)
Core 5B, Ground Floor, India Habitat Centre Lodhi Road,
New Delhi 110 003 (India)
(Attn: Mr. Kunal Kasariya, Scientific Programme Associate, CEFIPRA; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) Office Tel. No.+91 11 24682251, +91 11 24682252
For further details: CLICK HERE