National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
Indian Institute of Science Campus, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560012
Ph.D. Fellowship and Field Assistant opportunity for eligible and interested candidates at National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bengaluru. NIAS, Bengaluru jobs for Ph.D. candidates. MSc candidates apply for Ph.D. fellowships and field assistant positions at National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) as per the details are given below.
NIAS is recognized as a center for research by the Government of India (GOI) and several universities. We are seeking capable and enthusiastic Ph.D. students and Field Assistants interested to conduct multi-disciplinary research in the Energy and Environment Program (“Program”) at NIAS. The Program has recently secured a 5-year grant from the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MOES) “to understand the Interaction between components of Earth and Human Systems at various Spatial and Temporal Scales.” The specific objectives of this research grant are as follows:
• To study the impact of air quality on health at the local & regional levels, and examine ways and means to mitigate the same.
• To study the spatial-temporal, seasonal and long-term trends in the level of atmospheric pollutants and their inter-linkages.
• To identify pathways of pollutants and relative contribution between local versus distant sources along with its interpretation for select regions.
• To study the microclimate of select metropolitan cities with the goal of assessing the relative contribution of different emission sources.
• To make comprehensive assessments of seasonal air pollution scenario to develop strategies, enablers, and action plans to transition to a more environment-friendly and
sustainable energy/transportation mix.
• To understand the water-energy-agriculture nexus in select areas where there is competing use of surface water in agriculture and in thermal power plants to provide a
basis for cost-benefit analysis of optimization measures for the sharing of water between agriculture and power generation to enhance sustainable operations in both sectors.
• To establish a baseline case for assessing potential improvements in technologies and practices to optimize usage of water in thermal power plants in general, and those located in water-deficit regions in particular
• To develop policy formulations designed to make energy services accessible, affordable, and sustainable to the households who are unserved and/or under-served;
• To study socio-economic impact of select MOES’s programs with reference to the SDGs, To contribute towards MOES’s Polymetallic Nodules (PMN) Program, esp. with reference to its potential environmental impact.
The aforesaid objectives will be translated into inter-linked but self-contained projects through both field and analytical studies which will form the basis for policy recommendations after incorporating the views of different key stakeholders.
Doctoral Fellows: Master’s degree in Earth Sciences/Agricultural Sciences/Engineering/Sciences/Social Sciences/Geosciences/Geo-informatics/Materials/Public Policy from a reputed Institution/University with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA of 7.0 (10-point scale) or CGPA of 3.5 (5-point scale) at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Master’s degree in Earth Sciences/Agricultural Sciences/Engineering/Sciences/Social Sciences/Geosciences/Geo-informatics/Materials/Public Policy or BE/B.Tech from a reputed Institution/University with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA of 7.0 (10-point scale) or CGPA of 3.5 (5-point scale) at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Selected candidates will be entitled to a stipend of Rs. 22,000 per month as per MOES norms (on a yearly renewable basis), which will be available for a period of three years.
The deadline for applications is 30 April 2018. Short-listed candidates will be invited to NIAS for an interview during which accommodation will be provided. For additional information, applicants may contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants for either of the two positions should clearly state in the subject line of their email: “Energy & Environment Program.” NIAS will accept only applications submitted by email.
Official Notification: Download